If you’re looking for a deeply flavored, stick-to-your-ribs soup, you’ve found it in this Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup. Not only is this soup delicious as it’s written in the recipe, but you can easily adapt it to your preferences and what is in your pantry. As with most soups, it always tastes better the next day when the flavors have had
I grew up on this vegetable soup and vividly remember coming home from school as a child and delighting in its aroma as I came in the door. The real beauty is you can change up the ingredients so easily.
For example, you can use ground beef, venison or turkey. Do you have some stew beef that needs
If I have a hunk of cabbage, I like to chop that up and throw it in. This soup declares Open Season on frugality and deliciousness. If you use a little of this, a little of that, then take some notes on what went in and, of course, taste as you go – you’ll have a winner.
What to serve with Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup
Cook up some Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup today. Share with your neighbors or freeze some extra. You’ll be glad you did.
Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 lb ground beef, venison or turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 46 oz can of tomato juice
- 14 oz can of diced or stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups beef broth (or chicken broth if using ground turkey)
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 3-4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2-3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced 1/2″
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1-1 1/2 cups cabbage, chopped 1″ (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven on medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. Add the ground beef. When half browned, add the chopped onion. Cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir.
- Add tomato products, broth, seasonings and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Bring barely to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes and cabbage. Simmer 30 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Adjust seasoning as needed and add in the corn and peas. Simmer 10 minutes until all the peas and corn are heated through.